Smartly is designed to be flexible to meet your needs. You can choose the Smartly plan and level of service that suits you: Our full service includes PAYE handling and, depending on who you bank with, Smartly can also automate payments to your employees. If you prefer, you can handle your own PAYE whilst we take care of paying your employees; or you can simply use Smartly to calculate your payroll and handle all the payments yourself. You can choose the Smartly payroll plan that suits you best and includes the features and functionality that are important to you. We’ll go through your options with you and agree what works best for you to get you started, but you can make changes at any time, just let us know.
To get the most from Smartly we recommend you appoint us as your authorised Inland Revenue intermediary for handling PAYE, other approved employee wage or salary deductions, and the related payday filing obligations. If you have not appointed us as PAYE intermediary, the relevant terms below which relate to PAYE deductions and filing do not apply to you.
If you are using Smartly as a calculator but making payments yourself, the terms below which relate to payment processing do not apply to you.
In any case, we are not your tax agent, or any other agent for any other purpose.
• You authorise us to provide your payroll reporting information required by law to Inland Revenue when required.
• You authorise us to provide payslips and other reports required by your Authorised Users and your employees for each pay run.
• You authorise us to make all relevant payroll deductions of any kind (for example PAYE, KiwiSaver, child support, student loans, fines or attachments), other agreed expenses (for example union fees, health insurance premiums), and (unless we have agreed to invoice you) our payroll processing fees applicable to your employees paid using Smartly. You need to have told us what these other agreed expenses are.
• Each pay run that you use Smartly, Smartly will automatically create one electronic file for your employees’ net pay to be direct credited to their nominated bank accounts and another file to direct credit all applicable deductions. If we are your authorised PAYE intermediary, Smartly will debit your nominated account and deductions will be paid into a Smartly-managed trust account. The file containing employees’ net pay will either be sent to you or, if we are handling your banking, to the banking interchange system and in that case Smartly will debit your nominated account with the net pay amount.
• We undertake to pay all deductions that we receive, and to send required reporting, to Inland Revenue or to relevant third parties on or before the due date for payment. We will not be liable to account to Inland Revenue or any third party for any deductions not received into our trust account, or subsequently dishonoured, or be liable for any late payment penalties, bank fees or other resulting loss.
• We will administer the trust account with due care and ensure that funds held in our trust on your behalf are properly accounted for. All interest earned on trust account funds belongs to us.
• These terms do not create any obligation on our part to any of your employees.
• We are not liable for any of your tax or other obligations to Inland Revenue except for any payment and reporting obligations set out above (if applicable).