Whether you’ve got someone who is about to go on parental leave, or you simply want to be prepared, here we discuss five things that anyone managing a team should know.
Now, it’s important to understand the correct terminology but where possible we’ve used simpler language. Following is a list of key words and what they mean in the context of this article:
• Primary carer/Primary parent/Parent – Gender inclusive terms that mean either the birth mother or person that will take primary responsibility for the child
• Leave (on its own) – Parental Leave
• Unpaid leave – Primary carer and/or unpaid extended leave
• Parental leave payments – Government funded payments
• Entitled/Entitlements – The minimum legislative entitlements in accordance with the Parental Leave and Employment Protection Act 1987